On Monday night, we did a story on Ellie, a Melbourne teenager with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE). Some additional information on lupus is below.
- Lupus is a chronic & complex Autoimmune illness
- 1: 1000 people can be diagnosed with Lupus (SLE)
- People of Indigenous, Asian, African American background have a higher rate of diagnosis
- Gender bias occurs with 9 females to 1 male diagnosed
- Most people are diagnosed in young adulthood – middle age however children and older persons are also diagnosed
- The illness ranges from mild to severe symptoms
- Some people have life threatening symptoms
The Autoimmune Resource & Research Centre offers information, education, counselling, research & support to help you understand & manage your illness to improve quality of life.
ARRC is located at:
Level 2 HAPS Building
John Hunter Hospital NSW Australia
Phone: 02 4921 4095